All in all, it's not a bad treatment of what has happened since their famous 2006 cover story. That earlier piece (cover image shown) greatly contributed to the hype-and-bust cycle that we are still experiencing.
I might quibble with a few points, but some standout observations include:
- How the broken in-world search contributes to problems in growing SL
- How the clunky UI and orientation experiences deter new members.
- The mainland prices have tanked.
- That a cloud-based SL would prove better for most mainstream users; I agree.
- That the Lab seems to have bought into the inevitability of virtual worlds as "The Next Internet."