Shortly after Linden Lab announced the price-hike for educational sims, I polled my readers and also educators who do not normally follow this blog.
The results of what was admittedly an imperfectly worded survey appear here. I was gratified to get even 35 replies but I hope that a better designed survey will get more.
Now I'm wondering how to structure a new survey to give after January 1, the first month when those contracts for server-space (let's get over the illusion of calling it "owning land") end in SL. Educational sim-renters will then face the choice of renewing at higher rates, cutting back their holdings, moving to a mainland parcel, or not renewing at all. My Matrix reference is hardly a forced one: if we get representative answers to well designed questions, we may, like Neo, see a reality far different from the often-comforting one of our daily lives and work in virtual worlds.
As an Open-Source sort of person, whose creations in OpenSim will be given to those who are interested, I think designing a survey using the wisdom of crowds might be wise.
Here are responses I'm considering. Statistical mavens, have at it. I want to avoid bias (and I am biased about, if no longer enraged by, Linden Lab's decision) as much as possible. NOTE: this is not the survey. You'll get to reply to that later. I just want feedback on my questions at this point.
When your contract with Linden Lab comes up for renewal (or if it already has for the next year or years), your institution will:
- Acquire more land for classes and programs in SL
- Acquire more land for classes and programs in SL and set up programs on another grid
- Continue classes and programs at current level in SL
- Continue classes and programs at current level in SL and set up programs on another grid
- Reduce land holdings (explain in comments) and continue classes & programs in SL
- Reduce land holding (explain in comments) and set up programs on another grid
- Cease renting land from Linden Lab & continue courses / programs in SL
- Cease renting land from Linden Lab & move to another grid
- Cease institutional work in any virtual world
- Have not decided.